Background. In connection with a certain upholding of the legal doctrine, the task of preparing conceptual documents in certain areas of state and legal life has recently arisen. At the same time, the relevance of the problems of federalism is significantly increased by the global turbulence and sudden interstate and ethnic conflicts that have arisen in recent years.
Materials and methods. The article widely uses extensive materials accumulated by the author about foreign and Russian federalism. The historical-state and comparative legal methods are in priority egarding the present study.
Results. Using the work of his predecessors, the author identifies several current areas in the field of improving federal relations. In particular, it is the revitalization of the State Council as an important integrative authority, expanding the procedure of legal monitoring, improving regional law-making, the optimal model of judicial law-making, eliminating sharp disparities in crime among regions, specific outreach activities to strengthen the federal legal consciousness and legal culture .
Conclusions. The author comes to the conclusion that the future concept of legal policy in the sphere of federal relations could consist of the following sections: 1. World experience in the development of federal relations; 2. Russian federalism as a state-legal and civilizational phenomenon; 3. General principles of legal policy. The content of legal policy in the field of federal relations; 4. The main directions of development of legal policy in the field of federal relations.
1. Mal'ko A.V., Salomatin A. Yu. Teoriya gosudarstva i prava: ucheb. posobie [The theory of state and law: teaching aid]. forew. Akad. RAS A. G. Lisitsyn-Svetlanov. 2nd ed. Moscow: RIOR; INFRA-M, 2013, 213 p. [In Russian]
2. Poskonina O. Istoriya Latinskoy Ameriki (do XX veka) [The history of Latin America (till the XX century)]. Moscow: Ves' mir, 2005, 248 p. [In Russian]
3. Ivshina I. N. Sozdanie federativnogo gosudarstva. Sravnitel'no-pravovoe issledovanie [Establishing a federative state. A comparative legal study]. Moscow: Yurlitinform, 2014, 328 p. [In Russian]
4. Mal'ko A. V., Gulyakov A. D., Salomatin A. Yu. Gosudarstvo i pravo [State and law]. 2018, no. 12, pp. 116–127. [In Russian]
5. Bakhlov I. V. Imperskiy komponent v territorial'noy sisteme Rossii: evolyutsionnyy podkhod [The imperial component in the territorial system of Russia: the evolutionary approach]. Saransk: Izd-vo Mordov. un-ta, 2008, 184 p. [In Russian]
6. Sinyukov V. N. Rossiyskaya pravovaya sistema [The Russian law system]. 2nd ed., suppl. Moscow: Norma, 2010, 672 p. [In Russian]
7. Lebedev A. N. Prekrashchenie sushchestvovaniya SSSR (1985–1991 gg.) (gosudarstvenno-pravovye issledovaniya) [The end of the USSR existence (1985–1991) (state and legal studies)]. Moscow: Yurlitinform, 2017, 144 p. [In Russian]
8. Lukashevich D. Yuridicheskie mekhanizmy razrusheniya SSSR [Juridical mechanisms of the USSR collapse]. Moscow: Algoritm, 2016, 448 p. [In Russian]
9. Mal'ko A. V., Salomatin A. Yu. Osnovy pravovoy politiki: ucheb. posobie [Foundations of legal policy: teaching aid]. Moscow: INFRA-M: RIOR, 2013, 170 p. [In Russian]
10. Gulyakov A. D., Salomatin A. Yu., Siushkin A. E. Pravovaya politika (kompleksnyy podkhod k sovershenstvovaniyu gosudarstvennoy i pravovoy zhizni) [Legal policy (the complex approach to improving the state and legal life)]. Penza: Izd-vo PGU, 2018, 80 p. [In Russian]
11. Proekt kontseptsii pravovoy politiki v Rossiyskoy Federatsii do 2020 g. [A draft conception of the legal policy of the Russian Federation till 2020]. Ed. by A. V. Mal'ko. Moscow, 2008, 30 p. [In Russian]
12. Strategiya razvitiya pravosudiya v usloviyakh globalizatsii [The strategy of justice development at globalization]. Eds. A. V. Mal'ko, A. Yu. Salomatin. Moscow: INFRA-M: RIOR, 2017, 227 p. [In Russian]
13. Gulyakov A. D., Salomatin A. Yu., Dunaev A. V. Rossiyskaya yustitsiya [Russian justice]. 2016, no. 7, pp. 45–48. [In Russian]
14. Statistika: prestupnost' v Rossii [Statistics: crime in Russia]. Available at: https://ruxpert.ru/Statistika: Prestupnost'_v_Rossii (accessed 16.05.2019). [In Russian]
15. Gubachev N. N., Gubachev M. N., Kapranov V. I. Gosudarstvennaya natsional'naya politika Rossiyskoy Federatsii: sostoyanie, problemy i osnovnye napravleniya modernizatsii [The state national policy of the Russian Federation: conditions, problems, and main directions of modernization]. Cheboksary: Izd-vo Chuvash. un-ta, 2013, 112 p. [In Russian]
16. K novoy modeli rossiyskogo federalizma [On the new model of Russian federalism]. Eds. A. Zakharov, O. Zdravo-myslova, A. Ryabov. Moscow: Gorbachev-Fond, 2013, 328 p. [In Russian]